‘We’re better than this’: Gun violence trends higher
September 1, 2021
KUOW sums it up: “Whatever statistic you look at, one thing is clear: gun violence continues to trend ever higher in Seattle.”
So let’s check the statistics KUOW reported, as provided by Seattle’s interim police chief, Adrian Diaz:
- There have been 150 more shootings in 2021 than in 2019.
- More than 380 shots fired in 2021.
- 278 shots fired incidents with no injuries.
- 35 homicides so far in 2021 (two are delayed deaths, meaning they were injured last year, but died in 2021).
- SPD has recovered more than 700 guns in 2021 (about 100 were collected in August alone). Chief Diaz said the department is on pace to recover about 1,000 this year.
- 104 shooting incidents that resulted in victims; a total of 135 victims overall.
- 24 individuals have been arrested for gun-related offenses over the past month. So far in 2021, 14 people have been arrested for homicides.
Add those up and you have a horrible equation for needless violence and suffering.
Chief Diaz is right: We’re better than this.